Thursday, July 24, 2014

Act II - popcorn

Scene I - office. a cubicle.
enter le employee and le manager.
le employee: what were you trying to prove, that deep down everyone wants wealth like you do? you're alone
le manager: Can't rely on anyone these days. You gotta do everything yourself. Don't we? That's okay. I came prepared. It's a funny world we live in. Speaking of which, you know how I got these cars?
le employee: No, but I know how you got these.
le manager: Oh, you. You just couldn't let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force...meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible, aren't you? Huh? You won't turn me in...out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't sack you...because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
le employee: You'll be in this cubicle forever.
le manager: Maybe we could share one. You know, they'll be doubling up... the rate these employees are losing their minds.
le employee: This company just showed you...that it's full of people ready to believe in good.
le manager: Until their spirit breaks completely. Until they get a good look at the real CEO...and all the heroic things he's done. You didn't think I'd risk losing the battle for Company's soul...in an esacalation with you? No. You need an ace in the hole. Mine's CEO.
le employee: What did you do?
le manager: I took Company's white knight...and I brought him down to our level. It wasn't hard. See, madness, as you know...is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.
le manager(with a flourish): main tujhe chod du ye ho nahi sakta, aur tu mujhe chod de ye main hone nahi dunga.
exeunt

Scene II - Cafeteria
enter le employee, le employee1 and sweeper
le employee1: le manager won. All of CEO's work, everything he fought for...undone. Whatever chance you gave us of fixing our Company dies with CEO's reputation. We bet it all on him. le manager took the best of us and tore him down. People will lose hope.
le employee: They won't. They must never know what he did.
le employee1: Five cars, two of them jaguar's...you can't sweep that up.
le employee: But le manager cannot win. Company needs its true hero.
le employee1: [understanding immediately] No!
le employee: You either get a promotion, or you live long enough to see yourself become inconspicuous. I can do those things, because I'm not a hero, not like CEO. I got those cars, that's what I can be.
le employee1: No, you can't! You're not!
le employee: I'm whatever Company needs me to be. Call it in.

*A scene of le employee1 speaking at CEO's funeral, saying he was "a CEO. Not the one we deserved, but the one we needed. Nothing less than a knight, shining"*

le employee1: They'll hunt you.
le employee: You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the code on me.
Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded. (runs)
sweeper: le employee? le employee! Why is he running, le employee1?
le employee1: Because we have to chase him.
sweeper: He didn't do anything wrong.
le employee1: Because he's the hero the company deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.


exeunt

Scene III. New office cubicle
enter le employee, le newManager
le employee:Why didn't you just sack me?
le NewManager:You don't fear the pink slip. You welcome it. Your punishment is to be more severe.
le employee:You're a torturer...
le newManager:Yes. But not of your body. Of your soul.
le employee:Where am I?
le newManager: Home.Where I learned the truth about despair. As will you.There is a reason that this prison is the worst hell on earth...Hope. Every man who has rotted here over the centuries has looked at the light and imagined coming to freedom. So simple. So easy. And, like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst, many have died trying. I learned that there can be no true despair without hope. So as I terrorize the company, I will feed its employees hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamber over each other to stay in the sun...
le newManager points to a laptop, in the cubicle
You will watch as I torture an entire company to cause you pain you thought you could never feel again. Then, when you have truly understood the depths of your failure, we will fulfill le boss's destiny. We will destroy the compnay. And when it is done...when Company is ashes...then you have my permission to leave.
exeunt

Social message:
le shakespeare lifted this modern age play from dark knight for all benched le employees.
note: benched should be read as a transitive verb and not otherwise.

le Black Herring prospectus
all le employees are subject to bench. please read the offer letter carefully before joining.

must watch: intial 20 secs
 


No comments: